Music Center Feasibility Study

News: Music Center Feasibility Study

You can now download the Music Center Validation Study Report

I've been campaigning for 8 months to get any of the council members to request city staff post the reports done in preparation of building the Music Center on the city's website either as news or better yet as part of a meetings agenda or minutes.  I've asked them to make the original report done by the city finance and…

Selected Passages from the validation study - part 1

I started a document to pull out interesting parts of the Music Center Validation Study.

In it you will find some passages from the Music Center Validation Study Report that I found interesting.  It is more important that you read the Executive Summary in the real report than it is for you to read this.  This will be part one of two.  The real report is a total of 161 pages.  I've read 82 pages.  I don't know why I started at the beginning.  The parts I am most interested started with the Music Venue Case Studies so I've just barely got into the interesting parts.   If you are interested in reading the passages I thought were interested here is Part 1 of 2

I'm not to the place where I'm making decisions or drawing conclusions.  One item in this section that has me perplexed is the expectation of demand.  In the chart below you can see that in 2016 and beyond the city expects that about half the attendance will come from Local / Regional Concerts and Festivals.  The idea that the Music Center and the surrounding parking lots would be a place to hold six festivals each year hit me as something that will take a lot of effort to pull off successfully.  The write-up for the Local Regional Concerts tells us these are conceived to be either Dayton or Cincinnati Philharmonic events.  Remember last December the City brought in the Dayton Philharmonic.  That event was fantastic from an attendee point of view but not financially successful ($10,000 appearance fee, $5000 in promotion, less than $3,500 in gate).

Last edit: by Tom_McMasters

So, who covered the $12,500 difference for the above event you spoke of.  Did that also take into account any salaries/benefits that were performed as a result of the event?  Tom, thanks for digging into these areas of detail, the average citizen will not go into this level of research and will not even know the difference.  They will take the word of the city who is selling this project and make the numbers look how they want them to look in order to generate support this this project.  

Selected passages part 2 of 2 available

If you haven't done it at least read the Executive Summary of the full document prepare for the city. In this part toward the end I concentrated on cutting and pasting the Festival expectations.  It shows the city expects to be able to put on 6 festivals a year where 5000 people buy tickets at $15 each (plus $1.50 parking fee) all while spending just $1000 each event on advertising and promotion.  Here is part 2 of 2.  Still to come thoughts and evaluation.  

Music Center at the Heights

Do you know how much the validation study cost?

$40,000

$40,000
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply