Open Letter to Council - It's time to do all of our debate in public

News: Open Letter to Council - It's time to do all of our debate in public

Update:

The Facebook discussions that occurred today didn't even come close to addressing the point of the original article which was that behind the scenes politicking has for years been stressful on members of council  and a blight on getting good decisions from our city government.  Nor did it achieve the goal of getting our new council members to commit to driving more of these types of discussions

Why don't you ask Janell why she changed her mind rather than speculate that it was due to discussion with other council members.  Too much speculation of other people's motives in this whole situation.

Mayor McMasters & Council Member Ed Lyons

I have been watching for a while now at the Mayor, Tom McMasters, has constantly and publicly used his position and this blog as a way to NOT SUPPORT the Council Members, specifically Ed Lyons.  He has also used his position to get the people that he believes will follow his agenda rather than have a Council Member(s) who might/will question him on issues, problems or concerns.  As a person of power, the Mayor needs to set the example of professionalism, fairness and take the advice of the other Council Members into account.  Instead though, we have a Mayor that says:

"Ed is about the stupidest person I think I ever met and a sleazeball," McMasters said. "And if he had any love for the city, he would resign."

Is this a person we want as Mayor?  I would think not!

Here are other examples, taken from this blog where the Mayor has not supported his Council Members, who I believe are doing the best that they can for the City of Huber Heights.

1) Ed Lyons - Thank you council for a billion dollars! - HuberResidents.org

2) Letter to Ward 6 residents - HuberResidents.org

3) There are reasons I like Richard Stan for Ward 6 Council Representative - HuberResidents.org

4) Update 15 Oct -- Another $579,000 wasted by Council - HuberResidents.org

5) Election message for the residents of Huber Heights - HuberResidents.org

Well, it appears the links I've provided are not showing up but you can do a search on the topics listed and find them.   

If you take the time to read all of these links, you will see where the Mayor is constantly NOT SUPPORTING his Council Members, specifically Ed Lyons.    

I find it very convenient that this letter about the comments Ed Lyons made with regards to the vacant seat on the Council was signed by people that Mayor McMasters was supporting - "Vote for Richard Shaw and Glenn Otto for City Council."

Also, if you want to being up more issues about the Mayor, what about this incident that happened with the Mayor?   It seems to have been swept under the rug!

ERROR: A link was posted here (url tag, http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/complaint-filed-against-huber-heights-mayor/nhfg2/) but it appears to be a broken link.

Complaint filed against Huber Heights mayor| Dayton, OH News

I believe the Council Member, Ed Lyons brought up a legitimate issue and did so in a professional manner.   Could he have possibly done it with more tact, possibly, but it is something that should be brought up!   There is not one African American on the Council and only 2-women.  I would like to think that everyone on the Council should look at this objectively and see it for what it is…a simple concern brought up by a Council Member that won't blindly follow Mayor McMasters in whatever direction he believe should be taken.  A good leader utilizes the resources at his disposal and looks at all sides, opinions and their expertise instead of calling a person names.   

If anyone needs removed from office, it should be the Mayor or learn to respect each other and do what is best for Huber Heights!

Response to Mayor McMasters & Council Member Ed Lyons

There were 2 African American women on council -One got VOTED OUT of office and the other QUIT on her promise to oversee Ward 5. How does that make council racist all of a sudden?

Supporting the mayor

I'm a little confused, because it sounds as if Mayor McMasters does support city council members, in general.  Your post sounds as if his lack of support for Mr Lyons means he doesn't support the whole council.  You obviously support Mr Lyons, by your comments.  I believe not everyone, including Mr Lyons, is looking out for the best interests of us, the taxpayers.

I know the Mayor's character and I believe his only interest is making certain that the taxpayers are well treated. He supports open communication and dialog with the citizens, not backroom deal making and favoritism. He posts a LOTS of info to keep everyone up to speed with current local events.

I, for one, stand behind the Mayor and I believe he supports the council, except when they are taking us in the wrong direction.

Stay informed and stay involved.

Supporting the mayor

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the Mayor.  I am sure in his mind he is doing what he believes is best for the City however, there have been too many public disagreements and non-supporting comments made not only about Mr. Lyons but of other Council Members in the time the Mayor has been in Office.  Disagreeing on a topic or direction that the Mayor thinks is one thing but to use social media, such as this blog or even TV media and stating again, as with Mr. Lyons,

"Ed is about the stupidest person I think I ever met and a sleazeball," McMasters said. "And if he had any love for the city, he would resign."

How would if look if the President of the United States stated something like that about the Vice-President or another Government Leader?  

Also, using his power as Mayor to promote future Council Members that he thinks would be "easier" to work with, as in the case:

"Vote for Richard Shaw and Glenn Otto for City Council."

Yes, the Mayor is also a citizen and has the right to support anyone he wants but it seems like a conflict of interest in my mind. I am sure Mr. Shaw and Mr. Otto are going to be a great asset to the City though but I also believe the were helped to get to those positions because of the Mayor's influence.  

I can only hope that the Mayor and the Council can put aside their differences and all work towards the benefit of the City in a professional and constructive manner moving forward.   There are going to be disagreements along the way, that's only natural but let's avoid the petty bickering, name calling, etc. and come together as a team!  

My. Lyons

Honestly if Mr. Lyons is asked to simply apologize after all of this then there is little hope for our city for the next 4 years. His statements were disrespectful -reckless and damaging. In the past 48 hours numerous newspaper articles- write-ups on several social media pages and television station reporting online and now in person all centering on our city council. Does everyone  realize the lawsuit possibilities stemming from all of this????? We the residents know that council had meetings/interviews behind closed doors with the Ward 5 candidates…yet it was at Monday's public meeting that Mr. Lyons chose to use these damaging accusations toward council, his fellow colleagues. If he honestly felt this way then why wouldn't he go to the city lawyer -why wait until a public meeting to say this? Why wait until one candidate had already been talked about and voted on?   This current council is so divided that's it's not only hurting our city locally  it's giving our city a bad reputation beyond the city limits. The diverging opinions will only send our city in circles instead of moving forward. It's in the best interest of the city to ask for a resignation.

Survivor Show In Huber Heights

Saw this here:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url tag, http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/huber-councilman-asks-whether-race-gender-a-factor/nqXFN/) but it appears to be a broken link.

Huber councilman asks whether race, gender a factor in vote

Quote from Ed Lyons:

"One question that does come to mind is whether or not she's capable of being voted on by this body based on her recommendations," Lyons said. "And I do question whether Mrs. Newby is going to get the votes tonight because I know her gender is female and her race is African American."

This doesn't sound racist when I read this statement.  It seems he is just wanting to get a qualified person in the Ward 5 area as fast as possible and wanted to bring up that there was no African Americans on the Council.   I can see how someone might take what he said in the wrong context but his intentions, as least in my opinion, was to address that there was no African Americans on the Council.

Plus, it's interesting to see that, according to this article:

"If the council does not act on the Ward 5 vacancy before midnight tonight, then the power to appoint will move to Mayor Tom McMasters."

This seems to me to be another political game being played by the Mayor to appointment who he sees fit and not a person that the overall Council would think would be best.

There are way too many political games being played in Huber Heights.  This is not the reality show, "Survivor".   Quit forming alliances amongst Council Members, doing favors for one another in order to get support later on for an issue.   You work for the city and should do what's best for the city and not what is best for each other.  

Our city needs to come first!

You do realize that Mr. Lyons damaging statements set up a bevy of lawsuits. Any woman or African American who has had unfavorable actions with Huber Heights City council can now came back and try to sue the city. Take for instance the Concept 1 academy. Mr. Lyons accused the entire board that night of being racist and sexist. This is the number one reason why he needs to be removed from the board. I could list dozens of other reasons why too.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.
Control functions: