Thomas Cloud Restroom & Concession Monday - Who Pays? and its Baseball vs Soccer?

News: Thomas Cloud Restroom  & Concession Monday  - Who Pays?  and its Baseball vs Soccer?

Public Works Committee meeting schedule Monday March 10, 2014 at 5:30 pm.

Held just before the regular council meeting so Council can vote on a contracts during the Regular Council meeting. Agenda and read ahead 

Come out Monday and hear what could be the last discussion before contract award of the new Thomas Cloud concession stand and…

I made the following Facebook post

The decision on where to put the concession stands has been negotiated.  There is no commitment to put in lights or fences (in other words there is no commitment to remove 5 to 7 soccer fields).  In fact during the public meeting emphasis was given to highlight that no user group such as soccer would be negatively effected.  

Now it appears as if the baseball organizations expects to develop a baseball complex in a way that would significantly and negatively affect the soccer user.  I believe that it is important that all users have a realistic expectation on future development.  

Offering my opinion;  I don't believe the baseball fields as laid out would ever allow for fences, lights, and dug outs.  I believe that a baseball complex with fences, lights and dug outs is a good idea.  However, if that is the objective then we should put the concession stand on hold and go back to the drawing board and redesign the layout of the park so that the baseball fields and soccer / football practice fields are efficiently laid out to maximize the usage.  

I highly recommend that everyone look at the video of the public hearing (discussion starts about 38 minutes into the video.  mms://agendaquick.hhoh.org/dcr2/CC042213.wmv
Huber Heights Little League is not the league that is pushing for all this. Yes it would be nice to have a complex like that but we knew going into it when we was moved to Cloud park when we lost our complex at Menlo Park that would never happen at cloud park and we were fine with that.

Those of us involved with Little League has said many times why don't you just put the concession back where it was. Everyone got along the way things was in 2010 and 2011 why all the changes.

The city should not have to put up additional money to move a concession stand that is going to cause so much conflict with other user groups within the city.

Every since Brick City has been involved in all this it has been nothing but a big mess.

When writing comments about this leave Little League out of it we don't want to cause soccer to lose any of there fields. We don't want all this conflict. And we don't expect the city to pay for something they shouldn't have to pay for when the city is hurting for money as it is.

The two years that we played all our games at Cloud park we never ask the city for anything except priority  use of the fields as our league is for the children of the community of Huber Heights. We maintained the fields and maintained the concession stand sharing with soccer and football and we all got along just fine.

Brick City has a complex on Rip Rap they have always used the fields at shullgate, Cottonwood, and Titus. While Little League shared the fields at Cloud with softball and used the fields at Monita.

Those of us from Little League say put the concession back where it was! STOP ALL THIS MADNESS

My Concerns

I attended the meetings, headed by Mr. Lyons and attended by Bick City Baseball, Warrior Soccer Club, and Huber Height Youth Soccer (Huber's youth recreation soccer league). I recomended that the park be laid out in a new configuration, moving the fields to the north end of the park, redesigning other parts of the park to allow for the same number of soccer fields, and put the concessions stand back where it was originally at. If the stand was put back in the original location there is no need for new infrastructure to get water, electrical, sewer or access roads to a new location. Mr Lyons had asked the City Manager, Jim Borland, to look into the redesign of the fields.

At the following meeting the reconfiguration was discussed. It had been determined that only four of the five fields would fit on the north end of the park. Also if the fields were to be moved to that end of the park the dirt to do this would cost too much and Mr Lyons agreed with this. Now I see Mr . Lyons is asking the city to pay for the new infrastructure at a cost of $100,000, but he thought dirt was too expensive. Something seems amiss here!

My thoughts on this; if fences were to be placed on the baseball fields, as they stand now, five to seven soccer fields would be lost. This would mean the end of Huber Height Youth Soccer, the only recreational, non-select, youth soccer in Huber with about 600 kids playing in their organization. They are not part of the Warrior Soccer Club, and have no association with the fields on Rip Rap.

In the past as the park is set up now soccer, baseball, football, softball, and the families wanting to go to the park to use the wide open space have all been able to do so. Building a baseball complex in the middle of the park would end this. Please consider putting the concession stand back in its original location, and also consider using the city's tax dollars for oh, let's say funding the schools.

Thanks JohnB

I appreciate the background
At the last Public Works meeting we found out that there were no bids put in to build the concessions/restroom.

I still want the Restrooms built at it's original location.

I suggested at the Public Works meeting that the Restrooms area #1 priority and that Huber Heights should look into just building the restrooms and even bigger better restrooms and NO concessions. Let Brick City, HHLL, Rec Soccer, HHYFC, WSC bring in their own concessions. Even if it means City of HH to pass an ordinance to do it. I don't care if it is just a table and tent, If it is a trailer with a generator. Let the sports organizations put their own temporary concessions wherever they seem fit within reasons. Heck bring in these popular food trucks, I know they do fundraising type of stuff.
Bryan followed up this post with a question he wanted answered in this discussion chain:

The bids came in at $351,000 and the Insurance covers $180,000 and that leaves a difference of $171,000. I was going to ask since I couldn't be at that part of the Public Works meeting due to a Soccer commitment, If there was any movement again on the City paying for some of the expenses?

The donation is stated to be about $150,000.  We were briefed Tuesday the actual insurance number is $185,000.  If the bid remained the same then there is a shortfall.  

Since the open bid process did not result in a bid, the City used the option of approaching contractors.  The city has the option of trying to negotiate down and value engineering the bids.  That is the first option the city has chosen to pursue.  I believe there is a decent chance this will be successful.
My question is this the cost of just building the concession stand?  Is there still additional cost for the electric, sewage, and paved drive that needs put in?

Last edit: by Jan Hendrickson

The $351,000 quote has been presented by staff as the entire construction cost.  Cost of electric and water when it is in operation has not been addressed.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply