Petition for the raising of backyard chickens

News: Petition for the raising of backyard chickens

Hello Mayor Tom,

Below is a link to a petition I created to allow the raising of backyard chickens in Huber Heights. I am aware of the code but wanted to take the pulse of the community to see if it's worth the time to try to amend the ordinance.  Gauging from the response to the petition, it is apparent that many citizens in our community have an interest in raising chickens for fresh eggs. The petition has already reached 50 signatures in less than 24…

Chickens

I am in a zoning that allows chickens if I don't try and sell the eggs or meat.

The rooster was loud and crowed all the time.  An owl, raccoon or opossum killed 4 hens in three days and I no longer have chickens.  
No chickens in Huber Heights, what next llamas, chincilla's, com'on for God's sake!

Paper on Chicken Policy

Sarah sent out the attached paper.  Click here to download Paper   I've not had the opportunity to read it myself but I thought I would post it for your examination.  Here are the notes she sent with the file:

Attached is a detailed report compiled by residents in Montgomery, OH that covers most of the talking points and concerns brought up at the last Public Services and Safety Committee meeting, held on 5-2-14.

Below are some of the highlights:  

- Pages 7-8 address potential negatives that were brought up at the last meeting.

- Page 10 and Appendices E and F address the question of maintaining property values. Notice many of the upscale suburbs of Cincy allow chickens - Blue Ash, Deer Park, Indian Hill, Terrace Park, etc.

- Pages 9-11 highlight the many benefits including health, environmental and economic advantages.

- Pages 5-6 show a sample ordinance to allow backyard chickens.

- And last but not least, Appendices B and C showcase some options for sweet coops that are on the market.

Chickens

There would be no need to have noisy roosters to raise chickens for egg purposes. You only need roosters to produce more chicks. Being that Rural King sells chicks, supplies could be replenished by purchasing there or other farms, etc.
Eggs we buy at the super markets are Not fresh, there is no way to tell how long refrigerated eggs are kept before shipping and because our eggs are washed with chemicals. People should have the right to own their own chickens for eggs.
People who want chickens also have gardens and grow their own food to can, freeze and dehydrate. Chickens are great at eating problems insects that ruin our produce. Keeping organic growers from needing to use chemicals on their gardens.
You also do not need 50 chickens to get enough eggs for a family so there wouldn't be too many in back yards. Wing clipping will keep chickens from flying over fences and into trees so containment should also not be a problem.
So buy a house in the country! Period!

Chickens

1. Chickens are not loud. Roosters are loud, and you don't do not need a rooster for your hens to produce eggs.
2. Chickens eat bugs (spiders, crickets, grasshoppers, MOSQUITOES…). Need I say more?
3. Each hen lays 1 egg a day. If your neighbor has 4 hens (typical), and a family of 5 - they're going to have excess eggs in no time. Know what that means? Free fresh eggs for you.

chickens

not all chicken raisers are clean, they let the chx poop stay put and don't clean it up, flies everywhere even in neighboring yards! No to chickens!
Ditto, NO CHICKENS, LLAMAS, CHINCILLAS, ETC.

Sarah sent this link to the survey results - comments are enlightening

Hello all,

I used the chicken questions from last Monday's Live Chat to put together a survey. I posted it around the web via FB, HH groups and email. 132 people completed the survey in one day. People are definitely talking!

Here is a link to the results for the first 100 responses:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-7S9P7NB/

(I have to upgrade on the survey site to receive the rest of the responses.)

Thanks!

Sarah

Chickens

Why would we want to attract more Raccoons, Skunks, Opossums, coyotes, foxes, and bobcats, etc. to the city? There are a multitude of reports detailing the eventual abandoment of city chickens - these abandoned chickens fill up animal shelters.  Organic eggs can be purchased from local farms, grocery stores, and farmers markets. Chickens do not belong in the city. Sure chickens eat insects, but so do bats and snakes…

chickens

Other animals won't always come after the chickens . If you keep the chickens locked up they won't be a problem.
The city is doing a survey on this very topic.  Click Backyard Chicken Survey | Crowdsignal.com"><a%20  to take the city survey.
Hello:  I am looking for sample survey questions to use for polling residents in my township for raising chickens.  Does anyone have the survey/questions that was used in the Backyard chicken survey in huber heights?

If so, please email me at vsuneja@yahoo.com.

Chickens

Some people don't clean up the dog poop in their yard either, so none of us should be allowed to have dogs right?
A resident Initiative has been started for this issue. Visit www.hubercluck.com for all the latest updates.

Also, please sign up under the contact tab to be notified when the petition is ready for signing. Please share and spread the word! We need 2,200 signatures to get the issue on the ballot.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.
Control functions: