Have you been duped into believing the Mayor is "just" a figure head?

News: Have you been duped into believing the Mayor is "just" a figure head?

According to the City Charter the Huber Heights Mayor is the most influential member of council with the most duties and responsibilities.  Even though the rest of council inappropriately stated the Mayor doesn't get a committee vote, this doesn't change the fact that the Mayor gets to vote on Legislation and that the Mayor's legislative voting privileges are always more powerful than any…

Powers

Tom,

Your examples are very in depth and detailed.  The reality of the topic is, when was the last time any vote on council was anything but 8-0 or 7-1.  You stand very little chance of ever getting to break a tie or veto anything the current council votes on.  Hang in there, hopefully change is coming but it is going to take some time.
Dan,

Thanks for the encouragement.  In this article I was presenting a civics lesson on how the City Charter addresses the position of the Mayor and Council.

The fact that the Mayor hasn't voted or vetoed for quite some time is a political lesson.

These are two distinct items.

Recently, some factions have been purposely highlighting the political reality that council generally votes together in order to try and diminish the City Charter define role of the Mayor.   This is done strictly for political reasons.  I've been asking for things like a budget for the music center and the five planning reports that are supposed to be done for "The Heights" development.  Instead of responding directly to these request these factions have under taken a campaign to try and marginalize the Mayor position so they can say things like, "I don't know why he thinks there should be a budget, he's only got a ceremonial position anyway". 

Last edit: by Tom_McMasters

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply