Water Softening Discussion

News: Water Softening Discussion

The Feb 2, 2016 Work Session agenda contains the read ahead for the water softening discussion.  This include an April 2010 report on what it would take to bring water softening to the city.  I recommend you read the entire Appendix.   Here are some of the highlights:

When measuring hardness  75 - 150 mg/l of CaCO3 is considered Moderate hardness.  Greater than 250 mg/l is considered very hard
So when was there a survey for water softening? This is the first I an hearing about this.

In reading this article, it states that if Huber goes ahead and does the water softening, the average monthly increase would be $6.27 per month. I would have to say that number would realistically be around $15 per month. There are operating costs and budget over-runs once they start doing the job. Plus we all know how honest the city council is when they give us these numbers.

IMO, if people want the city water to be softened, then this should definitely be on an election ballot.

In my house, I installed 2 whole house water filters and a water softener. Then I added a cold water filter under the kitchen sink. My refrigerator has another filter built in and it never clogs because the water is too clean before it gets there. I spent under $500 total and installed all of this by myself. The filters cost under $5 each and I replace them about every 2 or 3 months. I buy 2 or 3 bags of salt per month. I will gladly continue my way of water filtering before I would choose to pay more to the city for the same water. Even if the city started water softening, I will keep doing what I am doing.

I think that if someone was that concerned about their water quality, then they would go ahead and do their own fix. Why would you gripe and hope someone else does something for you?

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.
Control functions:

Contract Quick reply